We have dedicated much of this site to emphasizing that sexual violence is about power and control. Now, we want to discuss a different kind of power: the power we all have to make a positive change regarding sexual violence. So how do we create change, and use our power for good? Check out this positive change to-do list:
- View consent as a positive thing.
- Discuss these issues with friends and family.
- Be supportive when people talk about their relationships.
- Learn about organizations in your own community that are fighting against sexual violence
- Treat people with respect and equality.
- Know your own attitudes around gender, healthy sex, and sexual violence and challenge yourself to grow.
- Learn about what privilege is and how it contributes to sexual violence.
- Don’t laugh at rape jokes. If you feel comfortable, explain why these are problematic.
- Check in with your partner.
- Familiarize yourself with other resources; you are not in this alone.
Consent truly is the root of not only sex, but all positive social interactions. We hope you find this to-do list helpful and join us in our goal to create change with this issue.